The Helsinki open dialogue in which we are together engaged in investigating and commenting on the potential for (more) equity-based transport in Helsinki is taking place in seven main stages. The collaborative project is engaging as full partners a broad range of Civil Society groups as well as representatives of both public and private sector from both center city and outlying areas, with the core work and events taking place in the city over the month of March. As of this date the main project benchmarks look like this:
- 15 to 29 February. Laying the base.
Verification of theme and strategy, team organization, development of work plan, initial contact suggestions for interviews and workshops, events, schedules, and basic supporting documentation and organisational/logistical support for Focus Workshops, Master Classes and media presentations
- 1 to 14 March. In-place preparations and testing.
Initial outreach program and finalization of both English and Finnish language documentation. Team-building, logistical and support arrangements with a broad cross-section of individuals, groups and programs working in sector. Laying the base for the Focus Workshops (approx. 15 – 20 invited groups spanning a broad range of interests, concerns and needs). and the three closing Master Classes. (Click here to get an idea of the organisations to be contacted for the project.)
- 15 to 27 March. Focus Workshops.
Presentations, discussions, interviews, site visits and conversations with key groups and interests in the greater Helsinki area. (Workshops also lay the ground work for Focus presentations to be made by each invited group in the Master Classes.)
Media presentations, interviews
Continuing contacts with even wider range of key interest groups, as well as review sessions with teams responsible for organizing the ongoing programs generating the Helsinki Master Plan, Metropolitan Area Transport System Plan and the Program for Promoting Cycling in Helsinki.
- 21 to 23 March. Invitational three-day Master Class.
Held in the auditorium of the Department of City Planning and Transportation, with the formal presentations and public discussions running from 09:00 to 11:30 each day, followed up by continuing private discussions and exchanges with the team over the remainder of those days.
* Session 1: People First: User groups
* Session 2. Mobility providers
* Session 3. Facilitators
- 27 March. Public presentation and discussion of findings and recommendations. Organized in the auditorium of the Department of City Planning and Transportation, both to report on main mission findings, and seek further information and views to be included in the final report and recommendations. discussion of next steps.
- 29 March to 12 April. Report drafting, internal review with distribution to and feedback participating international external reviewers.
- 13 April. Final report submittal to the City of Helsinki.
# # #
Over the month cycle of the project, and in particular in the first weeks, we are drafting and sharing a certain number of working papers, covering organizational and substantive matters concerning which we think it is important that we have a shared view with all those who are participating in this program. As of this date (6 March), here is a quick list of the topics which we think need to be covered. (The working papers will be written and distributed in both English and Finnish.)
- Initial project announcement (20 February)
- Outreach for success: Key actors and partners (28 January)
- Project schedule and main benchmarks (6 March)
- Master Class organization (working draft) (6 March)
- Notes on the orgnasation of the Focus Workshops
- What is equity (and what is it not)
- What is Equity-Based Transport
- What is the non-car majority and how do we serve them best
- Future of the automobile in the city
- Key role of the ITC interface
- A note on civil society and the social brain as an untapped resource
- What would an Equity-Based Transport system for Helsinki look like – and what would be the best way to get there
It can be anticipated that this list of topics will bounce around a certain amount over the coming weeks, but here you have at least our starting place. in the event, information on future working papers will be posted on the site.